Ideas and Suggestions
The tribal wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed down from generation to generation, says that “when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.” In large organisations, however, a whole range of far more advanced strategies are often employed, such as: Read More here: The tribal wisdom of the Dakota Indians
Following are various reports and submissions that have been put forward by a range of people covering a range of issues that will effect the Ballarat region into the future. The willingness of those who have the authority and means to take some of these ideas on board, or even explore possibilities has yet to be seen. But you never know!!
October 2014, Ballarat, Australia Smarter Cities Challenge executive summary: The City of Ballarat, Australia, was one of 16 cities selected to receive a Smarter Cities Challenge® grant from IBM in 2014 as part of the company’s citizenship efforts to build a Smarter Planet®. During three weeks in October of 2014, a team of five IBM experts worked to deliver recommendations on a key challenge identified by Mayor John Philips and the City Council leadership team. Highlights:
- Phase in waste-to-energy implementation to build value and divert waste from the landfill
- Use modern sorting techniques to recover maximum value from waste streams
- Optimise transport and logistics to reduce costs
- Engage the community to support change
- Use technology to generate insights about resource recovery and waste.
Read More here
The following submission provides details relating to:
- Progressively moving towards the introduction of Direct Potable Reuse (DPR) as a significant proportion of drinking water delivery to the Ballarat community.
- Sewer Mining a less controversial initiative that could be added to the mix for non-potable water delivery. Read More here: Help Shape our Water Future Submission H Cleary; Help Shape our Water Future Submission J Barnes